Monday, June 27, 2011

Reflection: Summer Eats

Last Tuesday marked the beginning of summer.  To some that means the end of school.  To other it means taking a dream vacation.  For me it means taking a break in the kitchen. 

I loathe turning on my oven in 90 degree weather.  The old saying, "If you can't take the heat.  Then stay the Hell out of the kitchen." is my motto. But, one must still eat, right?  So, one must create some cool dishes. 

Well, I created two.

First is my Tunafish w/raisins on a bed of Spinach Salad
1 can of tunafish in water (drained)
1 Tbsp of mayonnaise
1/2 cup of raisins
baby spinach (raw)
1 medium tomato sliced
Italian Dressing

Mix tunafish, mayonnaise, and raisins in bowl.  Place a nice proportion of baby spinach on plate with tomato slices.  Drizzle spinach and tomato with Italian Dressing.  Pat tunafish into four balls and place on top of spinach and tomatoes.  Add a strawberry for garnish.

Next my Barbecue Chicken with Mixed Salad

2 barbecued chicken thighs (skinless/boneless)
baby spinach
chopped romaine and red cabbage
1 small cucumber (sliced)
1 medium tomato (sliced)
Italian Dressing
1 cup of coleslaw

Cut barbecued chicken thighs into strips (Okay, either spark up the oven for the chicken or the outdoor grill.  It was cool the night before I made the salad, so I used the oven and had left over chicken).  Place a nice mixed proportion of baby spinach, romaine, red cabbage, cucumbers, and tomatoes on a plate.  Drizzle with Italian Dressing and top with chicken.  Add cucumbers for garnish.

For Coleslaw

Mix a bag of pre-made coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) with  a 1/4 jar  (or less) of Marie's Coleslaw Dressing.

And yummy!

Now, you can get the Hell out of the kitchen.

Good eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment